Thursday, August 28, 2008

Did I ever tell you

how I cut down on chocolate??

I did my own aversion therapy experiment.

For a long, long time, I would CRAVE chocolate every afternoon. substituting that craving with something else never worked. I needed chocolate. I tried and tried to limit myself, but it wasn't working.


I finally curbed my daily cravings with very bitter dark chocolate.

You see, I am not a huge fan of very bitter dark chocolate. I can only handle a few bites.

I'm talking 85-90% cocoa, or cacao, depending on your language.


So I bought a bar, the one on the far right to be exact, and stuck it in my desk drawer. When I wanted chocolate, I took a nibble. A nibble was about 1/2 of one of the little rectangles that make up the bar, or less.

Well, that 1 bar of 85% cacao dark chocolate lasted about 3 1/2 weeks. 3 1/2 WEEKS!

That was not will power, that was pure bitter-faced disgust!


And it did prevent me from running off for a Hershey bar.

This experiment was done around the advent of the reported benefits of dark chocolate. That was good to know in case I started to enjoy dark chocolate- which was a risk of this study.

I also considered using white chocolate, which is also not my favorite.

Now I do not even have any chocolate, white or milk or dark or semi-sweet around my desk. I kicked the habit.

No comments: