Thursday, November 12, 2009

In which I shame NPR for luring me with a doughnut to talk about belly bugs!

(I have no clue why the fonts are all messed up, sorry!)

NPR had a little piece today on some early mice based research on fatty food and an increase in MICROBES LIVING IN OUR DIGESTIVE TRACKS!

BAH!

They lured me into the piece online with a delicious picture of a doughnut in coffee. The nerve!

Not the photo. In fact, this is the least alluring doughnut and coffee picture EVER!
I will be working on burning this image into my brain.


I suppose if they put a picture of microbes I would have run away screaming and never read/listened.

Giant Stomach Microbe Plush Toy! Sorta cuter than the doughnut picture. Sorta?


The Gut Response To What We Eat

by Nell Greenfieldboyce

"A high-fat, high-sugar diet can quickly and dramatically change the population of microbes living in the digestive tract, according to a new study of human gut bugs transplanted into mice."

Thank you, brave Mice, for helping humankind!


PS: I am sure Nell Greenfieldboyce is a lovely person, but her promo picture makes her looked possessed! Or as if she is trying to seduce us. Look:

"You will make a donation during the pledge drive this month.
And the pledge drive next month too."

No comments: